Find me at my new blog!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I am forgiven.

Today I was lost and hopeless and despairing in my own sinfulness.  I am so unfaithful to God, and when I insist on having my own way it's only the worse for me.

I opened my Bible at random, and since God works in wonderful ways, it fell open at Isaiah 64, and I began reading at verse 6, reading it as a personal prayer to God:

"I have become like one who is unclean, and all my righteous acts are like filthy rags; I shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind my sins sweep me away.  No one calls on your name or strives to lay hold of you; for you have hidden your face from me and made me waste away because of my sins."

This Law broke and humbled me.  This is exactly how I was feeling.  I haven't been seeking out God, and I have become like one who is unclean because of my sin.  But I couldn't stop there.  Isaiah continues in verses 8 and 9,

"Yet, O LORD, you are my Father.  I am the clay, and you are the potter; I am the work of your hand.  Do not be angry beyond measure, O LORD; do not remember my sins forever.  Oh, look upon me, I pray, for I am yours."

He is my Father.  He has made me.  And I know he will not remember my sins forever.

Flipping my Bible to where a piece of paper caused it to open, I read from Colossians 1:13-14, "For he [God] has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."  (Emphasis mine.)

God has rescued me.  Through his Son, I am redeemed and I am forgiven.

Finally I turned to 1 John 1:8-9: "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Considering that where I began in Isaiah, I was unclean and all my righteousness was like filthy rags, look what God has done with me!  He has purified me from all unrighteousness!!!!

ALL my sins, every sin I've ever committed, has been washed away.  It's gone.  God has taken my sin away.

What have I learned from this?  That crying out to God and searching his word is the best thing I can be doing right now, when my own worries and troubles threaten to overwhelm me, when Satan tries to destroy me with despairing over my own wretched sinfulness.

God reminds me how much he loves me.  That he has forgiven me, of everything I've done, despite everything I've done.  He requires nothing from me for my salvation, and I believe that he has done what he says.

I am forgiven.  What blessed words those are!  I have no more guilt.  I can live in the joy of knowing that I am a saved, loved and forgiven daughter of God.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder, Jaimie. My prayers are with you, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!