Find me at my new blog!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Trusting Him

God has been teaching me a lot about trust the last few days.  Apparently it's a lesson I need to learn.  I have opportunities where I can choose to be trusting or to doubt that God will take care of things.  He has taken care of things whether I'm trusting him or not.  This proves, once again, how faithful God is despite my fickleness.  My fiancée, too, is loving and patient even as I am learning to trust him and in so doing to trust God to take care of both of us.

Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths."  I like the picture of leaning on God, instead of myself.  Physically, it's rather hard to lean on ourselves.  If we tried, we'd fall over and look pretty silly.  But God is there, ready and waiting for us to lean on him, because he wants to hold us up.  When we look to him for direction, he will point us to the path he already has marked out for us.  He will lead us in the way to go.

As a somewhat related side note, just a few verses later on in Proverbs it reads this: "Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine" (3:9-10).  When we trust God with our money and possessions, giving back to him part of what he has given us, he will bless us even more.  Tithing is part of trusting God.

David writes in Psalm 56, "When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can mortal man do to me?"  When David wrote this, he was in serious danger; the Philistines had seized him and his life was in jeopardy.  Even in this most desperate of situations, he wrote this Psalm, demonstrating his neverfailing trust in God.  He was right to do so, and correct in what he said: When we trust God, no one can do anything to really hurt us.  Our bodies are mortal, yes, but our spirits are untouchable by anything Satan could try.

That brings me back again to the idea of being eternally-minded.  When we look at the big picture, instead of selfishly considering just our own lives, it should be much easier to trust God because we realize that he has a plan far bigger than we are, and more all-encompassing than we could imagine.  We're part of that plan, though.  Jeremiah 29:11 states, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"  We can trust God because he has plans for our futures: plans to give us hope.  We can trust that.

A wonderful old hymn, "I am Trusting Thee, Lord Jesus," says this (just select verses):
1. I am trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
Trusting only Thee;
Trusting Thee for full salvation,
Great and free.

4. I am trusting Thee to guide me;
Thou alone shalt lead,
Ev'ry day and hour supplying
All my need.

5. I am trusting Thee for power;
Thine can never fail.
Words which Thou Thyself shalt give me
Must prevail.

6. I am trusting Thee, Lord Jesus;
Never let me fall.
I am trusting Thee forever
And for all.


Today, I am going to work on learning to trust God, knowing that he has me and my life in his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!