Find me at my new blog!

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankfulness.

I have not been reading the Bible or posting nearly enough over this vacation, but my heart has been overflowing with joy and thankfulness and words I can't express, but I know that God can read my heart and thoughts even when I can't express what I'm thinking or feeling.  I consider that as much praying as reciting the Lord's Prayer, perhaps even more so, because it's my innermost thoughts and feelings.

These last few days I've spent with my fiancé and his family.  I've grown to love them almost as much as my own parents and siblings, and I love my fiancé more every day.  I am so blessed: I have food, clothes, a home or dorm to live in, so many people who love me, a great education, a car (just within the last few days), books, a computer, and even more important things: forgiveness.  Grace.  Salvation.  The gift of eternal life.  The love of God, which is even more precious than the love from my fiancé or family.

Psalm 136 talks a lot about thankfulness.  It outlines God's salvation of the Israelites, from the creation of the world to the conquest of the Promised Land.  After each phrase, the worshipers repeat the refrain, "His love endures forever."  Here are verses 1-9:
"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods.
His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords:
His love endures forever.
to him who alone does great wonders,
His love endures forever.
who by his understanding made the heavens,
His love endures forever.
who spread out the earth upon the waters,
His love endures forever.
who made the great lights--
His love endures forever.
the sun to govern the day,
His love endures forever
the moon and stars to govern the night.
His love endures forever.


After everything that God has done for us, how can we not give him thanks?

Paul writes to the believers in Colossians, "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness" (2:6-7).  Overflowing with thankfulness.  That's how I've felt the last few days.

To the Corinthians, Paul wrote, "The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.  But thanks be to God!  He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."  The most thanks we give to God is for the victory over death, sin and the law we have in Jesus.  That is our greatest gift.

In Psalm 28 David writes, "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.  My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song."  At my church the congregation often sings after communion the song Give Thanks by Don Moen:
"Give thanks with a grateful heart,
Give thanks to the Holy One,
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ, His Son."
This is the greatest gift of all.

Today, I will have a thankful heart, and be mindful of the gifts God has given me and realize how gracious and generous He always is with me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. I am so happy to hear your blessings, Jaimie! You have been a blessing in my life!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!