Find me at my new blog!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hoping in His Word: Psalm 119:81-88

In today's passage, the psalmist is crying out to God for rescue from affliction and from his persecutors.  Whoever this psalmist was must have had a lot of troubles and a lot of people who were trying to hurt him!  I don't have that problem, thanks be to God, but I have been feeling really stressed today with all the things I need to get done and decisions I need to make.  I can kind of understand the psalmist's cry of despair in that sense.

The first verse of the passage I can relate to more:  "My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word."

Some days my soul really does long for God's salvation, for his return to this earth and for him to raise all believers to heaven with him.  When I see the evil, the sadness, the pain and despair and lost-ness of this world, I wonder why God doesn't come back right now and make everything right.  But, like the psalmist, "I have put my hope in HIS word."  I know that God works all things out in his perfect timing, and that he can see all things while my finite mind only comprehends a little.  I am small, and he is very big.  Therefore, it's okay if I can't understand everything.  God does!!

That knowledge gives me great comfort.  Even when I don't know what to do, when I don't know which way to go, when I can't see what the future holds for me, I find great hope in knowing that God is leading and directing me in ways I can't see and that he does have a hope and a future for me.  I need only to obey his leading and I'll be all right.

This leads right into the last verse of today's passage, verse 88: "Preserve my life according to your love, and I will obey the statutes of your mouth."  The psalmist isn't making a deal with God, but putting his faith in him.  He knows God will preserve his life, just as I know God will take care of me, and therefore he obeys God's law and guidance.

Really, obeying God is the wisest and safest thing any Christian can do.  Since we do know and see so little compared to God's knowledge and sight, it's the best thing for us to follow his direction.  He can see where we're going: we can't.  He wants us to obey him so he can take care of us.  He has given us his law out of love for us.  When we look at it that way, obedience to God should be a comfort and a joy!

Today, I am going to hope in his word and seek to obey and follow him faithfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!