Find me at my new blog!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

He's Working for My Good: ALWAYS

I had originally intended to choose a Psalm to write about today, but other things are on my mind.

I'm tired.  I think I'm coming down with something.  My fiance is sick.  I would rather skip classes for the next two days and have break now.  I miss my parents and siblings.  But (with the spirit of Thanksgiving quickly approaching)-- I have SO MUCH to be thankful for!!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

One of my favorite books ever is "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom.  She was a Christian in Holland during WWII, and her family hid Jews in their home to protect them from the Nazis.  The Jews they protected all stayed safe, but Corrie, her family and friends were arrested one day when the Nazis raided their house.  Corrie and her sister Betsie were able to stay together when they were taken to the concentration camps, and they managed to smuggle in a Bible.  Betsie was not strong enough to do physical labor, so she was forced to knit clothing for the Nazis while Corrie did hard manual labor.  In the filthy dormitory where they lived, the beds were infested with lice.  One night while reading the Bible, Corrie and Betsie came across this passage in 1 Thessalonians.  Betsie prayed and thanked God for everything she could think of, including the lice.  Corrie protested that she simply couldn't thank God for lice, but Betsie insisted.  A few days later when Corrie returned from her work, Betsie met her joyfully.  They had been holding Bible studies for other women in the dormitory, and couldn't understand why the guards were leaving them alone.  That day Betsie had overheard the guards talking about why they wouldn't go into the dormitories.  It was because of the lice.  Corrie realized how true it is that we CAN thank God for EVERYTHING, because we can't see how he will work things out.

Paul writes in Romans 8:28, "For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Despite the little frustrations, discomforts, and inconveniences I've been experiencing lately, I know that I CAN do all things through Christ who gives me strength (Phil. 4:13), and that includes being joyful always, praying continually, and giving thanks in all circumstances, because God will work all things out for my good, even if I can't see or understand how.

Also, when I have an eternal mindset- knowing how short and temporal this life is, and how much more there is to life than the physical things- little things like sickness or weariness hardly matter.  Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, "But [the Lord] said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."

It is when I am at my weakest that God can work most powerfully through me, because through my weakness his strength shines all the more.  Through weakness, sickness, and trials, God can be glorified in and through me.  So with Paul, I can say, "I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me"!

1 comment:

  1. Love this entry---and your heart---Jaimie! Thank you for the beautiful, gentle reminder that we can confidently and boldly give thanks in all things. Much love ~

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!