Find me at my new blog!

Friday, November 12, 2010

He is Near: Psalm 119:145-152

In this psalm the writer is seeking God and his understanding.  I can almost picture the psalmist, laying awake at night and waking early, searching the Scriptures and crying out to God in prayer for God to answer.  Here is the passage for today:

I call with all my heart; answer me, O LORD, and I will obey your decrees.
I call out to you; save me and I will keep your statutes.
I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes stay opent hrough the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.
Hear my voice in accordance with your love; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your laws.
Those who devise wicked schemes are near, but they are far from your law.
Yet you are near, O LORD, and all your commands are true.
Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever.

I had a time in my life, when I was nine or so, when I had some health issues that made it hard to sleep.  I'd lay awake for hours at night and was thankful when I woke up by five o'clock and not earlier.  I spent a lot of time reading Scripture for those days.  Now that I'm older, sleep is easier to come by, but I have so many big decisions to make.  I think I should emulate this psalmist more, and spend time late at night and early in the morning talking to God and searching his word.

I'm sure there are people out there who can really relate with the writer of this psalm.  For those people, there is this precious promise of God for them: He is near!  In the book of Joshua, God says, "I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you."  (Joshua 1:5)

Today, I am going to remember that God is near, and that I have the privilege of seeking him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and opinions!